Skip to main content

Tech, Teaching, and Tiny Robots

This post reflects on volunteering with MCWT Camp Infinity, reconnecting with the classroom, and helping students explore the joy of coding through Scratch, Brython, and robots.

In this post:

  • Why I Volunteered
  • Helping in the Classroom
  • Scratch, Brython, and Robots
  • A Reminder of What I Enjoy About Teaching
  • Supporting MCWT

Why I Volunteered

I first connected with the Michigan Council of Women in Technology (MCWT) through a board discussion while I was at CMU. Since then, I have seen MCWT as a strong support system for women in technology through conferences, camps, networking opportunities, and other resources.

Because I am currently between finishing school and finding my first data role, I have more flexibility to volunteer than I normally might. I wanted to use some of that time to make professional tech connections, stay involved in the women-in-tech community, and give back to an organization that supports people entering and growing in the field.

Camp Infinity felt like the right place to start. The camp introduces young girls to technology through hands-on activities, and it gave me a chance to combine two parts of my background: education and technology. I originally signed up because I thought it would be a good opportunity for career growth and networking, but I quickly realized it was also a meaningful way to reconnect with the classroom in a new role.

Helping in the Classroom

The day started early with a 5:30 AM drive to Detroit, but the camp environment was energetic and welcoming when I arrived just before 8 AM. It felt familiar to be back in a classroom, even though my role was different this time.

Instead of being the teacher, I was there as a helper. I helped set up computers, tablets, and Dash robots, supported students with logins, answered questions, and helped troubleshoot when technology did not work right away.

Those tasks may seem small, but they are important. From my teaching background, I know how much time setup and troubleshooting can take. Being able to help with those details allowed the instructor to keep the lesson moving and gave students more time to focus on learning.

Scratch, Brython, and Robots


The younger students started with Scratch, a drag-and-drop coding tool that lets students build programs without typing code. I had heard of block-based coding before, but this was my first time seeing it in action. Students customized sprites, made them move, drum, change colors, and loop through dances while practicing events, sequencing, and loops.

Later in the day, I joined the high school group working with Finch robots. They programmed the robots in Brython, which is Python running in the browser, using the BirdBrain package. The first commands were simple, such as moving forward, moving backward, and turning, but the result was exciting because the students could immediately see their code control a physical robot.

I helped troubleshoot connection issues and supported students with syntax, including quotation marks in strings and parameters for method calls. It was a good reminder that beginner-friendly tools still teach real programming concepts, especially when students can see their code come to life through a robot.

A Reminder of What I Enjoy About Teaching

One small moment reminded me how quickly classroom instincts can come back. Mrs. Angie used a call-and-response to help refocus the students before giving new instructions. She said, “www dot,” and the students were supposed to respond with “zip it dot com.”

The first time, the students did not respond. I jumped in with the student response, and she used that moment to help the class understand what they were supposed to do. It was a quick, simple moment, but it made me smile because it felt familiar.

It was a small classroom-management moment, but I enjoyed being able to help in that way. Sometimes supporting a classroom is not just about answering technical questions. It is also about helping the teacher keep the room moving, helping students know what to do next, and adding a little energy when the moment needs it.

I also enjoyed connecting with students over lunch. One question I like asking is, “What is your favorite thing to learn about?” I like it better than asking for a favorite subject because it lets students answer more freely. Their curiosity might be about animals, space, art, games, robots, or something completely outside a normal school schedule.

By the end of the day, I felt like this volunteer experience had connected my teaching past with my tech future. I am not currently trying to return to the classroom as a full-time teacher, but I did enjoy being in that environment again, especially in a role where I could support learning.

Supporting MCWT

I left the Detroit Camp Infinity glad I made the drive and excited to help again in Lansing. With camps across Michigan, MCWT gives girls hands-on opportunities to explore coding, robotics, and tools like Scratch, Brython, and Finch robots. Programs like this can make technology feel more approachable, especially when students get to see their ideas come to life.

 I am grateful that the Michigan Council of Women in Technology (MCWT) creates opportunities like this for students and volunteers. If you are interested in learning more about Camp Infinity, you can visit the Camp Infinity page. You can also visit the MCWT website to learn more about their work and ways to support women and girls in technology.

Comments